Thursday, January 24, 2013

Dessert chips and apple pie salsa

January 24, 2013

You will not believe what happened. My kids bickered over who would get to take the leftover chicken fried rice for lunch to school today. Wow. I never would have thought when we started this challenge that they would evolve and really embrace our new lifestyle. Good thing for them that there was enough for both of them! I had the rest of the leftover beef tips, gravy, and rice.

We ran some errands today and the kids asked if we could eat dinner out. I told them that we would be done with errands way before dinner, but that we could pick something up that would still be good in a few hours. I gave them three options (two of which I had coupons for and the third was just plain cheap). Once again to my surprise, they picked the cheapest option. What was my kids' idea of a splurge for tonight (a reward for us doing so well with the challenge last week)? Spending $5 and picking up a hot & ready cheese pizza to take home and have a picnic while we watch a movie.

I wanted to make us a fun dessert for our picnic. I had half a pack of tortillas that needed to get used up soon. Hmmmm. Homemade cinnamon sugar tortilla chips with some homemade apple pie salsa. Another Pinterest score! The recipe is so simple (from "The Peach Kitchen"). Combine 2 cups of peeled/cored/diced apples, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon in a pan. Heat until it boils and some of the juice has come out of the apples. Mix together one teaspoon of corn starch and one teaspoon of water (I needed a little bit extra water). Stir that into the apples and cook until thickened. Cut tortillas into triangles. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 410 degrees for 5-8 minutes (I did mine for 8 and they were nice and crunchy). My son said "mom, I love the apples". My daughter couldn't get enough of the cinnamon sugar tortilla chips. And now, time for our movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment