Saturday, January 12, 2013

hot "dogs" on a leash (spaghetti)

January 12, 2013

I was going to take the kids ice skating today. Uh oh. We will be out and that means lunch out. How do I convince the kids to eat at home? With some food fun of course. I had hotdogs that had to be used up. Boring. But if you stab hotdog with a spaghetti noodle it suddenly becomes hysterical (to kids anyway). They had fun stabbing their hotdogs. Although I think they had more fun eating it as it dangled from the spaghetti. Ha.

While we were out today, I wanted to try to get some local beef. We normally place a big order directly with the farmer, however, seeing as one of my freezers quit on me yesterday and I had to throw out my beef, I thought that I could make it faster by just stopping at a store that sells his beef for him. I looked online and found three stores. First store, strike one. Second store, strike two. Uh oh. Third store, strike three. Seriously? I guess I wasn't meant to have chili this week. My daughter asked if we could go out to eat at a Chinese place. Instead, we headed home to make our own stir fry.

I grabbed a container of turkey out of the freezer (Thanksgiving just keeps on giving). My daughter assisted and we chopped up onions, mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli. I had seen a recipe a few weeks ago for cashew chicken and it called for rice vinegar and hoisin sauce (which I bought). Hmmmm. If it works with cashew chicken, it should work in my stir fry. Ugh. Wrong call. I added a pinch of sugar to try to balance out the vinegar taste. I added the turkey, water chestnuts, and teriyaki sauce. My daughter made a side of sushi rice and some edamame. Surprisingly, the turkey was delicious in stir fry. I will probably make stir fry again with one of my other leftover containers. You ever have a night where dinner is just not what you wanted and after eating you feel grumpy? Yep, that's tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment