Friday, January 4, 2013

Shake it up (with leftover fruit)!

January 4, 2013

My hubby and I went out for breakfast today. We went to a local diner (my neighbor's friend owns it). Can't complain about spending the money (I think around $15) when you are supporting a small local business.

I happened to mention to my daughter that there was a small container of the leftover cauliflower that she had loved. Well guess who was super excited to pack lunch to bring to school today?! Seriously? Cauliflower made her want to pack? Ha. Ok. She brought a can of chicken soup, yogurt, and cauliflower. I will only count half of her lunch as savings though (I don't count it as savings if it is a can of soup. I only count peanut butter sandwiches, hotdogs, leftovers. Things that I don't specifically go buy for school lunches). My son saw that my daughter was packing so then he wanted to. He brought the last hotdog of a pack and a yogurt. Sweet. The kiddos just added $3 to this weeks savings already. Yay!

I wanted to make the kids a special after school treat. I saw bananas that were really ripe. Banana bread? Nah. Banana cake? Nah. Hmmm I never tried to make a shake before. I looked at a few recipes. Some were only milk and ice. Some were milk and ice cream. Some had sugar added (not gonna make that one!). I had three bananas (ugh, only 2 1/2 after I dropped a 1/2). I had 5 strawberries leftover from when my hubby made strawberry muffins. I added 1/2 cup milk, a handful of ice cubes, and a splash of vanilla. I looked in the freezer and found a carton of vanilla ice cream in the back. There was probably only two scoops left. Hmmmm what else can I throw in there? I got out the container of leftover homemade applesauce from my friend. Strawberry/banana/apple shakes. The kids loved them. I split it between them and myself. I didn't have to feel bad about them having it because there was only a little ice cream otherwise it was all good ingredients. I served the shakes in the fancy glasses and I think I earned a few cool mommy points...and by using up leftover/odds/end/over ripe stuff!

We decided to have a local beef roast for dinner. How do you cook it when it is only 29 degrees outside, wind at 20 mph and gusts up to 45mph, and lightly snowing? You smoke it on the grill of course! Thank you to my hubby for braving the cold so we could have some smokey goodness today. He smoked it for a few hours and then finished it off in the oven. I wanted to make rice but wanted to try a new recipe. I found one for brazilian rice. Sounded pretty simple. Sautee onion (I also added chopped garlic) in olive oil. Add some long grain rice (I used jasmine rice). Cook for a few more minutes. Add in some chopped tomatoes (I used a pint jar of home canned tomatoes) and salt. Cook for a couple minutes and then add some boiling water. I wasn't sure how much water to add because I think I used more tomato than the recipe called for. So I just added 1/2 cup at a time, cooked for awhile, and then would add more if the rice still needed more cooking time. The rice was missing something so I added some oregano. I wanted an easy vegetable so I just had a side of local corn (that I froze).

No comments:

Post a Comment