Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The amazing hummus (& groceries)

January 16, 2013

The kids both packed their lunches today and both had leftovers! Yay. I had some leftovers for a quick lunch before I headed to the grocery store.

Remember that my pre-challenge weekly average for groceries was $175. Today I spent $23.02 on cleaners/toiletries. I spent $1.58 on impulse items. I decided to get the kids each a lunchable as a surprise for them doing so well with the challenge this week. However, I got them the small package instead of the one that comes with a drink. I spent $64.21 on food. I lucked out. I was going to get a small ham for a new dish I want to try. It just so happened that they were on sale for less than half price! I spent $7.98 on gossip magazines. After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons, I spent $93.98 out of pocket today, which is a savings of $81.02. This week, the kids packed their lunches (5 lunches total) for a savings of $10. Our pre-challenge weekly average at restaurants was $80. This week I spent 19.64, which is a savings of $60.36. My total savings for the week is $151.38! My grand total savings is $1,552.36 in 91 days!!

As soon as I got groceries put away, I dove into making another batch of the cookie dough hummus. I still can't believe we love this stuff! When the kids got home from school and saw the hummus, I heard "mmmmmmmmmm, thank you mom". Then I was told to title this post "the amazing hummus". Ha. How can I refuse?!

I needed a quick dinner because we have wrestling tonight. I cooked up 1/2 pound of ground turkey (froze the other half for another day) and added a jar of my home canned spaghetti sauce. I cooked up some angel hair pasta, scooped out some strawberry cream cheese dip, and grabbed some cut up cantelope for our plates. Quick, easy, and oh so delicious. I figured seeing as I have talked about my home canned spaghetti sauce so many times, I would give you the recipe (which I got from my sister). If you don't do canning, you can still make this and freeze it. I did that for many years before I started canning.

2 large onion, 1 large green pepper, 20 ounces tomatoes (I used tomatoes from my garden but you could use store bought too), 30 ounces tomato sauce, 24 ounces tomato paste, 1/2 pound mushrooms, 4 cups water, 2 bay leaves, 2 teaspoons each of parsley, basil, oregano, garlic powder, sugar , salt, and italian, and black pepper to taste. Bring it all to a boil and then simmer for 2-3 hours. It can be processed in a hot water bath for 30 minutes to can it or simply put it into containers and freeze. Enjoy! I love it on any type of pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment