Sunday, January 20, 2013

3 meals of leftovers

January 20, 2013

I had good luck yesterday at lunch. I asked the kids to pick between three items that had been in our freezer for awhile and needed to be used up. They were fine with that. So I decided to try my luck today at breakfast. I told them to pick something from the freezer. They could choose between homemade french toast, homemade strawberry muffins, homemade waffles, and store bought waffles. You would have thought I asked them to pick something from the garbage. They were not happy. Oh well, they will get over it in a few minutes. They both had strawberry muffins.

For lunch, I figured we would eat up some leftovers. I pulled the shepard's pie out of the fridge. Once again, the kids complained. Uh. Today is not their day for leftovers. Good thing I'm the mom and they have to do what I say. Ha. Shepard's pie for all of us.

We were all looking forward to dinner. So much so, that we ate at 4 p.m. There was a little bit of the ham, potatoes, and green beans leftover from when I made them in the slow cooker. I took the ham broth out of the freezer and added some barley. There was only about 3/4 cup left in the box. That's alright, it will be plenty. I cut up a little bit of onion, two stalks of celery, and one carrot. Into the pot they went. After they cooked for awhile, I added the leftover ham, potatoes, and green beans. I added a bag of corn (frozen from the farmers market). I could probably have gotten away with only using half of the bag but I used the entire thing. The kids loved the soup. My son said he liked it better than when I made ham chowder. Lesson of the day: hide leftovers in soup and everyone will feel like it is a "new" meal. We finished off dinner with another round of the cookie cups that I made yesterday (cookie dough over a muffin pan turned upside down), filled with cheesecake pudding, cantelope, strawberries, bananas, and mandarin oranges. Everyone loves dessert leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment