Friday, January 18, 2013

Unveil the kale

January 18, 2013

Today was a mixture of old and new. I had spaghetti leftovers for lunch. Then I had to run some errands. Yay me for eating at home before I went to town! One of the errands was replacing the local beef that I had to throw away after one of my freezers stopped working. Usually we place a large order with a group of friends, directly from the farmer. However seeing as it was just me today, I went to a little wood fired brick oven store that also sells local meat. I scored! I got ground beef, beef stew, beef roast, ground lamb (not too sure what I will do with that), and lamb stew. As I was waiting for the guy to ring me up, I noticed all the delicious bread that he was taking out of the oven. He had a tray of focaccia bread sitting right in front of me. Uh oh. I need one. I love shopping at local stores and helping small businesses. So hey, I had to do my part right?! It was delicious. I wish I had listened a little closer when he told me what seasonings were on it.

My daughter went to a birthday party this evening which included dinner. My hubby is working again so it is just me and my son. We settled on leftover ham, potatoes, green beans, and he had a pear as well.

I wanted to make a snack for us for when my daughter got home. We are going to watch a movie and have a Friday night in together. Well, we already tried chick peas (hummus) and quinoa recently, why not go all out and try to make something else new....kale chips! A friend made them for us last year but we couldn't remember too much about them. It was super easy. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Rip kale leaves off of the thick stem. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until the edges start to brown. I asked my son to sample one so I could write the review. He ate one and said "oh my god. Can I have another one?" Ha. My daughter tried it and said "amazing". We decided they taste like a cross between broccoli and popcorn. Yes, that sounds like a gross combination but surprisingly it works.

2 comments:

  1. Haha. Thought you were gonna say, "wish I had listened a little closer to what seasonings were on it....BECAUSE I'M DEATHLY ALLERGIC TO MARJORAM!!! "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. That would've been a good reason to pay attention!

    ReplyDelete