Thursday, January 10, 2013

When leftovers are tastier than the original meal

January 10, 2013

When I got hungry for lunch, I had some leftover quinoa. I had some leftover broccoli. Boring, right? Wrong! I made a cheese sauce out of butter, flour, milk, and cheddar cheese. I stirred in the leftover quinoa and broccoli. Oh my! I think quinoa was made to be covered in cheese! Quinoa mac & cheese will be staying in my keeper recipes.

I wanted to make the kids a fun snack for after school. I found a recipe for blueberry banana bread with oats. Remember how I totally forgot about a shelf in the freezer and the three bags of farmers market blueberries? I debated if I should just use my regular recipe for banana bread, but decided to give this new recipe a try. I wish I had listened to myself. It didn't stay together very well when sliced. To go with the bread, I also made the kids a blueberry banana shake. I only put one scoop of ice cream so it really wasn't too sugary a snack for them. Otherwise it had milk, ice cubes, maybe about a cup of blueberries, and a banana.

I was planning on making chicken marsala for dinner until I saw a recipe that a friend of mine pinned on Pinterest. It was for chicken spaghetti. Hmmmm. I love love love spaghetti. Yep, time to change my dinner plans. I looked at a few other chicken spaghetti recipes and then changed a few things. I sauteed some onions and garlic. Then I added some mushrooms and white wine. After that cooked down some, I added chicken broth and pea pods (I only had a small handful left in the fridge). Next, I added some of the leftover rotisserie chicken. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, and basil. I thickened it with a little cornstarch. Stirred in some cooked angel hair pasta and topped it with freshly grated parmesan cheese. For a side, I sauteed some yellow squash, seasoned it with the same seasonings, and of course topped it with parmesan cheese. Wow. I don't think I was prepared for how much I would like the chicken spaghetti. My son and I both had seconds. You know it is a winner recipe when it is about an hour after we ate dinner, and I already am looking forward to having lunch tomorrow so that I can eat the leftovers! I can't wait until I have leftover rotisserie chicken again....I know exactly what I will do with it!



No comments:

Post a Comment