Saturday, January 19, 2013

7 veggie shephard's pie & cookie cups

January 19, 2013

I gave the kids three options for lunch: frozen chicken quesadillas, quesadilla pizza rolls, or corn dogs. I have been trying to get them to eat those three items for what seems like forever, but they never want them. I totally expected them to say they wanted something else. Imagine my surprise when they both said "I'll have corn dogs". I guess that means leftovers for me (the last of the spaghetti) because I can't really make myself something new if they are eating up that stuff. Good job kiddos.

Today is my friend's birthday so I invited her and her kiddos over for dinner. Her request: shepard's pie. I wanted to make it a somewhat healthier version. Usually when we make shepard's pie it is with corn. I noticed that some recipes called for carrots and celery. Hmmmm. Why not use both recipes? I also figured seeing as I was using onion, celery, carrots, and corn that I may as well throw some green beans in there too. When I made the mashed potato topping, I used 4 baking potatoes and half a head of cauliflower. It still tastes like mashed potatoes but with only half of it being starchy. Ok, so the cheddar cheese topping wasn't so healthy. Oh well. I seasoned the local beef with salt, pepper, garlic powder, minced garlic, thyme, and basil. It was delicious. I just wish it stayed together a little better when I plated it.

I wanted to keep dessert light. I cut about 4 inch circles out of sugar cookie dough. I flipped over a muffin pan and put the cookie dough over the muffin cup. I skipped every other cup so that the cookie dough had room to expand. The result? Little cookie cups! I made a no fat no sugar cheesecake pudding. That went into the bottom of the cookie cup. Next, in went some bananas, strawberries, cantelope, and mandarin oranges. Finish it off with a little bit of cool whip. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment