Saturday, November 10, 2012

30 day challenge, day 13

October 30, 2012


Today was an awesome challenge day. My hubby brought leftovers for lunch. I had leftovers for lunch (it included risotto so who can be mad about eating leftovers!). My daughter had to bring a snack to her girl scout halloween party. Seeing as she is bringing trail mix to school tomorrow, I had trail mix on the brain. Instead of buying a ton of different ingredients for it, I shopped in my cupboards. Honey nut cheerios (cuz she doesn't like them so figured I would use them up on other people, ha), m&m's (cuz I rather the kiddos not have a ton of candy so once again, other people score), gold fish, candy corn, and honey graham pretzels.

Now on to dinner....

I wanted to use ground beef but wasn't sure what to make. I did a little searching online and found a recipe for lasagna roll ups. I had half a box of lasagna noodles. Perfect. I used up the rest of my mozzarella cheese and my good parmesan cheese. I threw in cottage cheese in half of the roll ups. Topped it with mexican cheese. Side of my parents' home canned green beans. I wanted garlic bread but didn't have any. Not a problem. I made my own out of hawaiian sweet hotdog buns.

And now for my crowning glory. I needed a dessert. Chocolate cake. How can I make chocolate cake more "into" the challenge? I'm sure you have heard of zucchini being used in cake or muffins. It just gives it moisture. Well, brace yourself.....I used sauerkraut! I found recipes where you rinse, drain, then add sauerkraut to either cookies, cake, bread, or muffins. I still had half a jar from dinner the other day but this recipe only put a lil dent in that. Might need to hide sauerkraut in something tomorrow. Uh oh, I don't have frosting and I don't have powdered sugar to make my own. Hmmmmm. I made a frosting out of cream cheese, box of instant pudding (pumpkin!), milk, and cool whip. I only had a very small amount of cool whip in the freezer but it still turned out yummy. I could hardly wait until everyone ate their cake and said it was good before I whipped the jar of sauerkraut out of the fridge to show them what they had just eaten. Ha! I love this challenge.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment