Saturday, November 10, 2012

30 day challenge, day 22

November 8, 2012


Here we are, grocery shopping day. I had to take a few minutes yesterday to get everything ready. Since starting this challenge, I use a calculator and add up my groceries as I go through the store. I find it easier to resist impulse purchases if I can see what my total is already at. However, last week I was about half way through the store and my calculator reset to 0. Nooooooooo! I figured that I should get  a better system than trying to juggle my coupons, list, calculator, push my cart, and shop with the other hand. I dug out my old coupon binder, printed all my coupons, and even arranged them in the binder according to what aisle they are in at the store. Go me!

I did pretty well today. I spent $8.82 on impulses. However, that includes when the lady came on the loud speaker and said they had certain cereals on sale for half price. I got the kids each their favorite kinds. It also includes two packages of holiday cookies. They were clearanced out because they were halloween cookies. However, I dug through them and found one type of cookie that doesn't expire until the end of November. They were on sale for 92 cents each; I also had a coupon for $1 off of two boxes. I couldn't pass up getting two boxes of cookies for $0.84!! My big splurge of impulse items was boursin cheese for $3.69. Now if you have ever had boursin cheese you would know that it is totally worth the impulse. If you haven't had it, I highly recommend it. My food total was $65.98, $21.07 for toiletries and cleaners, and $5.08 for gossip magazines. The check out lady rushed me into her checkout lane so I only had time to grab the magazines that her stand had available. I guess only being able to reach 2 out of the 4 that I usually buy saved me about $5, so thanks checkout lady! After adding in the commissary's surcharge, taking out my coupons, etc, I ending up spending $95.33 out of pocket today. I saved $79.67.

Our restuarant outings for this past week weren't as good. We went out twice. Our weekly average was $80 prior to the challenge. We spent $83.40 this week. My son brought leftover soup one day for lunch so that saved $2. Adding this weeks lunch and grocery savings to my previous balance and then subtracting $3.40 (seeing as we went over in restaurants) my new challenge total is $492.29 saved. Not too bad for only day 22.  I can't wait to see what my final total is.
Now on to dinner... What did I have that needed to be used up? Mashed potatoes from last night. Shepherd's pie it is. Layer of mashed potatoes, farmers market corn, homemade (local) hamburger gravy, and topped off with cheddar and mexican cheese. Good god, if all leftovers tasted this good I would be totally winning at this challenge!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment