Friday, November 9, 2012

My 30 day challenge


October 18, 2012

I recently heard about  a 30 day challenge. You plan 25 meals and stock up on groceries. For 30 days, you do not go back to the store, thus eliminating running out for a couple items and then ending up spending much more money. I knew there was no way that I could do the 30 day challenge. However, I wanted to come up with my own version. 

Anyone who has been to my house knows that my cupboards are well stocked. I like to have extra of items. I like to have a variety of items readily available. It makes me feel like I am doing a good job taking care of my family if there is plenty of food for them to choose from. There are times that I shop and say "oh that looks good". I buy it, get it put into my cupboard, and then it seems I never feel like eating that item. So here is my challenge....

I am going to use the items that I already have at home. I am going to use the items that we overlook each time we search for something to eat. I will still go to the store, although I am going to try to only buy a very select number of items. We did just buy a bunch of local beef, lamb, etc and I have a bunch of veggies that I canned/froze from the garden. I had been planning on going to the commissary tomorrow; however, now I am going to try to hold off for awhile. Let's see how my husband and kids feel about this! 

Day 1: I had a friend over for lunch and figured this was as good a time as any to start my new plan. I had bought a can of sloppy joe's a few weeks ago and it then became the item that I no longer felt like cooking. I also had a bag of sloppy joe flavored chips that I thought was interesting at the store, but once I got it home I have been not too enthused with the idea of trying them. I buy hamburger buns each week, just in case we feel like making burgers, but it seems we hardly ever end up using them. Easy fix. Today's lunch.... sloppy joe's on hawaiian hamburger buns with a side of sloppy joe flavored chips and a homemade pickle. Did I forget to mention how many jars of homemade pickles I made this year?! 

Mid-day 1 I feel strong. Thankfully the Schwan's man won't show up today! Those carmel ice cream bars may be my downfall. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment