Saturday, November 17, 2012

Less is Less

November 17, 2012

Whoever said less is more was wrong. Less is less. After completing the 30 day challenge to spend less on food (and waste less), I have less in my cupboards. However, more isn't always better. I'm happy with less (well, for the most part). I have decided to continue on with this food challenge. I made it 30 days. Who is to say I can't make it for another 30? A year? I saved $562.69 during my first month. If I continued with that amount of savings, I would have saved $6,752.28 in a year. That is pretty good motivation to keep this challenge going.

My kids had leftover spaghetti for lunch (there may have been a little candy bribery in there). My hubby had leftover tacos, although his love of tacos makes him totally ok with having those leftovers. He had to work late tonight so I packed him a dinner of leftover tortellini with homemade alfredo sauce. I just had a ham sandwich. Not too bad of a start for today.

I had half a loaf of bread that needed to be used up. I decided to try to make croutons and breadcrumbs. It was actually pretty easy. Toast up the bread in the oven and then stick it in your food chopper. Now you have breadcrumbs. For the croutons, I melted butter and added garlic powder, parsley, and a little salt. I cut off the crusts and then cut the bread into cubes (the crusts I added in to the tray baking up for breadcrumbs). Mix the bread cubes with the melted seasoned butter and spread onto a baking sheet. About 30 minutes (turn half way through) at 300 degrees and you will have golden croutons. The kids tried the croutons out tonight and loved them.

I made mini meatloaves for dinner using some of my homemade breadcrumbs. Remember my addiction to pasta/rice a roni? I decided to use up a box of beef rice a roni. I still have quite the stock pile in my cupboard. I wanted a quick veggie side and opened up a jar of my home canned green beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment