Saturday, November 10, 2012

30 day challenge, day 21

November 7, 2012


My son and I both had leftover soup for lunch today. The container of turkey that I used for the soup still was about half full. I wanted to use it up for dinner tonight but with the intentions of not just blobbing a pile of turkey on our plates. 

After looking around the kitchen, I found a few ingredients that I wanted to use up tonight seeing as tomorrow is grocery shopping day. Yay! I had half a loaf of bread. Hmmmmm. Kiddos still have some of my french toast in the freezer. I have never attempted to make homemade stuffing before but figured today was as good a day as any.

Toasted up the bread in the oven. Sauteed some onion, celery, and carrots in butter and olive oil. Added salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and parsley. Mixed it all together with the bread and 3/4 can of chicken broth. Into the oven for awhile then under the broiler it went. I had a huge bag full of potatoes from the farmers market. Ok, mashed potatoes it is. I used up the rest of the milk (minus cups for the kids to drink) and the rest of the sour cream. Then on to the turkey. I sauteed onions in butter and olive oil. Stirred in a little flour. Then added an envelope of chicken gravy (already mixed with a cup of water). I dumped in the rest of the can of chicken broth, salt, pepper, and thyme from my garden. Oh, I forgot to mention that I cooked the gravy mixture in the same pot that I had sauteed the veggies for the stuffing. Yum, more flavor. Ok, after that thickened up a bit, I added the chopped turkey. Garnished with homemade pickles (and green olives for the kids).
 


No comments:

Post a Comment