Monday, November 12, 2012

30 day challenge, days 25 & 26

November 11 & 12, 2012

Day 25: We went out of town to do some Christmas shopping on Veteran's Day. Seeing as we were out, lunch really didn't conform to my challenge. :( However, I did consciously order water (my hubby did too) even though I was craving a soda  so that saved $5 even while we got to fill our faces with delicious Red Robin!

And fill our faces did we! When it came time for dinner we really weren't hungry.

Day 26: The four of us enjoyed our day off together. Usually when we have a day off, we like to go out for lunch. Today we opted for homemade burgers (made from local beef). Using up those pesky hamburger buns that I always feel the need to buy but hardly ever use. Score!

I decided to do a little baking for two reasons. One, my son loves zucchini muffins. He eats them for breakfast, snack after school, and there have been days when he asks to have one with dinner. Two, maybe it will keep my son from complaining (again) that we are out of pop tarts and cereal bars. Ha! Ok, muffins down, what's next?

Dessert. I looked in the cupboard trying to figure out what to use up. I have three types of pie filling. The ONLY reason I buy pie filling is to make pudgy pies (kind of like a grilled cheese sandwhich, but filled with pie filling then sprinkled with powdered sugar and is cooked over an open camp fire). With winter approaching, I doubt we will be having more pudgy pies. Ok, what do I do with pie filling other than cram it in a pie crust? I found a recipe for homemade brownies that you put pie filling in between layers of the batter. Yes! Raspberry brownies topped with more of the pie filling and a scoop of vanilla ice cream (how long has that ice cream been hiding in my freezer?).

Now on to dinner. I have been wanting to make chicken marsala for a few days. Marsala sauce means that I should use rice to sop it up, right? Great, I can use one of the six types of rice that I have stock piled. Geez. I settled on jasmine rice but wanted to give it a little extra flavor. I sauteed some onions and garlic then added the rice to brown up a bit before adding in the water. It simmered with a bay leaf, salt, and pepper. I added in some edamame. Yum! Everything was so good. Plus, today's work gave me two tricks up my sleeve for tomorrow! You'll have to come back tomorrow to see what they are. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment